I am so happy that you have landed in my little corner of cyberspace. If you join me here, you will, hopefully, get to know a little about me. You will read my thoughts, my hopes and dreams, and see some of my favorite things. I hope you will visit often. I will try to update it regularly and hopefully you will see an improvement in the blog along the way. Thank you for stopping in to see me as I travel on this journey called "life"!













Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sautéed Kale

Miz Helen over at Miz Helen's Country Cottage visited me earlier in the week and invited me to bring a dish and come over for her Full Plate Thursday party.  After much thought and consideration, I'm going to bring a "new to me dish"...Sautéed Kale.   Since I'm trying to eat healthier these days, this is one of the good choices that I've recently made in life.
  
Now if I were back down south where Miz Helen resides, this might be Sautéed Turnip Greens.....or Sautéed Collards, but since I'm in New England now, kale is the "greens" of choice.  I first had this wonderful vegetable on Thanksgiving when my father-in-law served this to us for the first time.  Even my step-son who eats nothing cooked that is green tried this and loved it.  That's how wonderful this vegetable is.  Now, I've had kale in soup before but never sautéed like spinach.  After I had it for the first time, I knew it would be just a matter of time before I prepared this for my own dinner table.

This is the recipe that I used...

1 bunch Kale (or other leafy greens)
2 slices Bacon
3 or 4 Chestnuts (optional)
3 or 4 Mushrooms (optional)
Salt, to taste
1 tbsp. Butter
1/8 cup sweet Marsala or Sherry
Pepper, to taste

Wash the kale, remove the center stems and chop.  Do not dry the Kale.  Cut the bacon cross-wise into narrow strips.  If you do not wish to use the bacon, use a tablespoon or so of safflower or other neutral oil.  Cook the bacon in a large pot to render the fat but do not crisp it. 


Chop the chestnuts and slice the mushrooms and cook with the bacon. 
(I didn't have any mushrooms or chestnuts so I didn't use them.  They were included in the the dish on Thanksgiving and they were wonderful so if you have them, by all means go ahead and add them.)

Add the chopped kale and sauté until tender. 


The kale will wilt and turn bright green.  You can add a little water, if necessary. 

 Add the butter...


and the Marsala.....


 and cook until the wine forms a light syrup.  Salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.


Why don't you bring your best dish and join us? You will be glad you did.


 Have a great Thursday!

17 comments:

  1. Now this is a dish I've never tried. It looks and sounds sooo good. I love all vegetabls, especially all kinds of greens.

    Hugs,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had kale. This dish has me craving it!! Thanks! I now must try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've eaten but never cooked kale. Looks good-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bacon and Marsala can make anything taste better. What an awesome spin on kale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kale is not my favorite but you made it look mighty good! I'd definitely try yours. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. see I've heard that kale is delicious but the first restaurant I worked in kale was the garnish on EVERY SINGLE DISH. I just can't get past that!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you posted a comment at my blog so that I could find yours! You have some great posts on here. I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Candace,
    I was so excited to see that you brought your wonderful Sauteed Kale, it looks amazing. I am putting some on my plate and I can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for coming today to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Kale too I'll have to try it this way.

    thanks for sharing.

    Carol-the gardener

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so boring -- I just usually saute kale with garlic and oil, maybe some red pepper flakes. Gotta love the bacon and marsala!!! This could seduce anyone into eating their leafy green vegetables ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by from Full Plate Thursday, great recipe, I am always looking for new ways to serve it. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haven't had sauteed kale for a while. This looks good. Double that hubby would enjoy it, tho, even with the bacon. I use olive oil and garlic only to make mine. Have read over your food choices this week (even the pizza!) and want to applaud your dedication and bravery for trying new things, esp. the green monster. Going to try that cuz I love that yogurt. blessings, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummmmmm! Wanted to invite you to share this recipe at this weeks Seasonal Sunday event. :) http://realsustenance.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a big fan of kale. It's probably one of my favorite greens. But I can't say that I've ever tried cooking it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Candace! Your Sauteed Kale is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week 1-27-11. It was so good!
    Best Wishes,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now this is a dish I've never tried. It looks and sounds sooo good. I love all vegetabls, especially all kinds of greens.
    maria b lawn wholesale
    original maria b wholesale

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me today! I hope you have enjoyed your time here and that you will return again. Please leave me a comment to let me know that you have stopped by! I respond to each and every comment by email, if possible, and by returning a visit to your blog. Have a great day!