I am so happy that you have landed in my little corner of cyberspace. If you join me here, you will, hopefully, get to know a little about me. You will read my thoughts, my hopes and dreams, and see some of my favorite things. I hope you will visit often. I will try to update it regularly and hopefully you will see an improvement in the blog along the way. Thank you for stopping in to see me as I travel on this journey called "life"!













Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"BETTER THAN THE RISOTTO" CAKES

After tasting the risotto that I made the other night, I just knew that it would make a perfect Risotto Cake.  The citrus flavor was so strong and I was hoping from the first bite that we would have leftovers so that I could give them a try.  I had never made them before but I didn't think they would be too hard.  We did have a little bit leftover so on Sunday, I took some time to experiment with them.  A search on the Internet yielded Busy Nothings blog and this simple recipe: 

Simplest Risotto Cakes

2 cups leftover risotto (cold)

2 T bread crumbs

1 T finely chopped parsley

1 egg yolk

eggs and bread crumbs for breading

olive oil for pan-frying

Combine the risotto, 2 T bread crumbs, parsley, and egg yolk. Mix thoroughly with your hands. Shape into four equal balls and flatten into cakes about 3/4 inch high. Dip into the egg (1 egg plus the leftover egg white from the egg you took the egg yolk from is plenty) and then lightly bread with the bread crumbs. Heat a saute pan with a thin layer of olive oil over medium heat. Cook, flipping once, until both sides are a deep golden brown.
Serve immediately.


I didn't quite have two cups of risotto but I didn't let that stop me.  To the risotto, I added 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary.


And if it didn't have enough cheese already, I added 1/4 cup of freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.


And one egg yolk being careful to save the white.  The egg white will go with the additional egg and coat the risotto cake before it gets breaded.




Instead of regular bread crumbs, I added 2 tablespoons of Panko Bread Crumbs.  I just love how crispy these bread crumbs are.  I might never use the regular ones again. 

These are so yummy!



I stirred everything together to mix thoroughly.


I mixed the reserved egg yolk with one egg and placed it in one pie plate.  Bread crumbs went into another pie plate.  Yes, folks....in a kitchen the size of mine, you have to get creative.  That is the top of my washing machine (which happens to be in my kitchen!) that is doubling for counter space.  It is across from my hot plate and works beautifully. 


I am now ready to start making the risotto cakes.  I will be quiet now and let the photos speak for themselves. 

You're welcome!











My skillet doesn't fit on the hot plate very well so the risotto cakes were browning unevenly.  Oh, how I miss my gas cooktop! Because there was egg on the inside of these cakes, I decided to pop them onto a baking sheet and into the toaster oven for a little bit just to make sure that they were completely done on the inside.  It, also, helped them brown up nicely.  I love convection!


Making the lemony risotto into risotto cakes was the right decision.  These risotto cakes have so much flavor.  Not only will I make that particular risotto again but when I want risotto cakes, I will make it exactly like I  made it the other night including using the fruit.  They were absolutely delicious and I look forward to making them again.  Next time I will make risotto cakes out of the whole batch and not just the leftovers.  I'm a fan.

Have a great Tuesday!








This post is linked up to Delectable Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday






Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays

13 comments:

  1. These look lovely and so delicious! I have yet to make risotto, but this is a real incentive! Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I love risotto but I've never heard of a risotto cake. I'll have to try this one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep this up my friend you will need to change your blog to "Cooking with Candace"~! Love the recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you've sold me on Panko bread crumbs. I'll have to try this! Looks good, and it's that time of day that I start feeling like a snack: 10:30 AM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, these look amazing!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look delicious. We love risotto here so I gonna have to try these out.
    mickey

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made Risotto! I've always wanted to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look so good! Perfectly golden, too, I can see just how delicious it is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks good I finally Have another use for those Panko crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I could eat those for breakfast right now, for lunch, for dinner (if I weren't still at the Atkins household) ... sigh ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Sunshine,
    I intended to get here earlier and check on those Risotta creations...have had sinus problems...yuck! :-( I admire you so much! You are so creative with limited appliances in the kitchen. These sound wonderful! I'm going back and copy that soup recipe too.

    I always think of you when I hear the weather forecasts for the NE. Hope you're ok and staying warm! At least it's not 110 with same humidity is it? :-)

    Love to you,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, now that looks like a fabulous recipe. I love your use of all cook tops. I usually have to go in the laundry room if I want to use the mixer while the babies are sleeping. You know how precious that mommy time is, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me today! I hope you have enjoyed your time here and that you will return again. Please leave me a comment to let me know that you have stopped by! I respond to each and every comment by email, if possible, and by returning a visit to your blog. Have a great day!