I am so happy that you have landed in my little corner of cyberspace. If you join me here, you will, hopefully, get to know a little about me. You will read my thoughts, my hopes and dreams, and see some of my favorite things. I hope you will visit often. I will try to update it regularly and hopefully you will see an improvement in the blog along the way. Thank you for stopping in to see me as I travel on this journey called "life"!













Saturday, January 22, 2011

I TACKLED THE GREEN MONSTER!

Today has been a very adventurous day here at mi casa!  I decided early this morning that today would be the day that I tackled the GREEN MONSTER. So I started my day by cutting up a banana and sticking it in the freezer. 

I  never thought I would ever do this but Jessica over at HEART ON HOMESTEAD convinced me that this was something that I really wanted to do.  If you haven't been over to say hello to Jessica, you should go do that.  This girl is real and I love that about her.

So before I got really scared and changed my mind, I ran into the kitchen and grabbed the ingredients.  You can read Jessica's recipe here.  This is what I gathered together for my version of the Green Monster.....


Organic Fat Free Milk
1 Frozen Banana
1 carton of Fat-Free Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt
4 Fresh Strawberries
A small handful of fresh Spinach
and Truvia Stevia Extract in the Raw


And put them in the blender....


I put the frozen banana in first....followed by the strawberries...and then the yogurt and finally the spinach. 


I didn't add the milk at first. I thought I would see how it blended up and maybe I wouldn't have to use any of the milk.  



Wrong!  The frozen banana was too much for the blender to be put in first.  I poured a little milk in to help with the blending.  Yes, I should have measured it but I didn't.  I'm guessing that I added about 1/4 of a cup.  I'm sorry for not being more accurate.  I will try to do better next time.  Anyway, the milk did the trick.  It started blending up nicely!


The spinach is moving on down now.....


I almost forgot to add the Truvia so I stopped the blending and added one packet....


I have to tell you that this drink is really, really good. 


Even David tasted it (a minor miracle!) and agreed that it was really tasty. 



I didn't use as much spinach as the recipe called for so mine didn't turn out really green.  Mine was kind of a light greenish cream color when it finished blending.   I couldn't taste the spinach at all in this drink.  I think if I added even more to it that I still wouldn't be able to taste the spinach.  I was a great way to get in some extra fruit and veggies and I will definitely be making it again.  I'm over the whole "drinking something green" phobia that I had.  I've tackled the green monster and he's not so scary after all.  Thank you Jessica for your encouragement!  I'm off now to tackle something for dinner. 

Talk to y'all later,

16 comments:

  1. I have to admit the spinach scares me a little bit but I will take your word that it was good! I do have to try that Stevia in the Raw, I keep seeing it!
    Thanks for a wonderful post
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a brave girl! I think this looks delish and it's all good stuff. Thanks for sharing...and yes, I will try it.

    Hope all is well in your world!

    Love to you my friend,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put spinach in my smoothies sometimes. You can't really taste it! :) It's good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really good! I laughed when I saw the glass...we have the same ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to look twice, spinach and banana? But it looks really good and really healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post as always my friend, and yay you for sticking to your guns and trying out new things while being healthy! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I loved it. I'm trying to get better about making more healthy smoothies so maybe I need to get brave and give this one a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, everyone, for stopping by and for the encouraging words! I promise you cannot taste the spinach. Mine had the overwhelming taste of the strawberries. If you give it a try, please let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am super impressed. I've never ventured into the world of green monsters but I've def heard good things about them. i need to buy a blender first!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wahooo!! See, you really can't taste the spinach, glad I converted you! My sister and my friends mother have both been convinced to try too. I'm helping people eat their veggies one shake at a time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Candace - came by to see your blog after you posted on mine - I'm a huge fan of the green smoothie . . . in fact, I have one planned for breakfast tomorrow. Finally getting back on the healthy track after the holidays and these taste great and are filled w/nutrition. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you!! The recipe sounds great to me :). Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a lot of healthy ingredients. I have an all green drink (actually 2) every morning. There's a picture on my header of one. My whole family has smoothies for breakfast. My kids prefer a little fruit in theirs like you made, but I need the all green. I can always tell the difference in my teeth and nails if I don't have enough green...age, my dear.
    Love and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The recipe sounds great. I'm new to your blog and have just spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I really love the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. I started drinking blended milk and fruit as my "on the way to work" breakfast, maybe I will grab a bag of spinach at Costco and start adding a handful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love spinach leaves in a salad - or as the salad! I've never tried them in a smoothie before, though. I do like one called Green Machine (I forget the company), and I think it might have spinach? It has a strong pineapple taste, which I love! I might have to give this one a try...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me today! I hope you have enjoyed your time here and that you will return again. Please leave me a comment to let me know that you have stopped by! I respond to each and every comment by email, if possible, and by returning a visit to your blog. Have a great day!