I am so happy that you have landed in my little corner of cyberspace. If you join me here, you will, hopefully, get to know a little about me. You will read my thoughts, my hopes and dreams, and see some of my favorite things. I hope you will visit often. I will try to update it regularly and hopefully you will see an improvement in the blog along the way. Thank you for stopping in to see me as I travel on this journey called "life"!













Friday, January 7, 2011

BAKED CHICKEN EGG ROLLS


Did you ever have one of those days when a 
simple salad or sandwich just wouldn't do?   


Today was one of those days for us.  I was getting some organizing done in the office today when lunch time rolled around.  I briefly thought about making a salad with some leftover chicken in the fridge; but, David wasn't feeling the salad today.  Since I have a mild addiction to Asian cuisine.....peanut sauce, more specifically....and because I had visited a new blogger friend this morning who had some delicious Asian food for her Christmas dinner......it didn't take long for the idea to make egg rolls to appear.  The organizing would have to wait....


I started with a small onion, diced; two cloves of garlic, minced; and about a cup of shredded carrots.  I added this mixture to a skillet with Olive Oil.  A shake or two of Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Five Spice Seasoning and Turmeric on top of the veggies got the whole house smelling wonderful.


I took the leftover chicken out of the fridge and chopped it up pretty small so that it would go into the egg rolls a bit easier.


And added it to the pan with the veggies to warm it up.  It's starting to look good now!  Time to add the soy sauce.



I added two or three shakes of soy sauce.   It is easy to get this too salty when using soy sauce so feel free to add this according to your taste.



Since we like our food spicy, I added a few shakes of crushed red pepper.    Again, add this according to your taste.  If you do not like spicy food, feel free to omit this step. 


Let the filling mixture cool for a few minutes and then it's time to prepare the egg rolls.


Take one egg roll wrapper and lay so that it is in a diamond shape in front of you.  Place some of the mixture down the center of the egg roll wrapper, leaving room on each end.
 

Add chopped chives.....

Top with cilantro....

Take the bottom corner closest to you.  Fold up and over the filling.

Fold the top corner down to cover the filling...

Fold the left corner over....

And start rolling to the right...being careful to tuck in each side as you roll toward the right corner.  

Before you roll it completely up, dip your fingers in water and apply it to the last corner so that it seals when you finish rolling it.


Place on a baking sheet and bake in a 350° oven until browned, flipping once during baking.

Serve these with your favorite dipping sauce.  Mine happens to be this one....

Since I was so good today and put one of my three egg rolls on David's plate and only ate two, I got dessert.
 

The last half of the Stonyfield French Vanilla Yogurt from yesterday topped with 1/4 cup fresh raspberries and 1 tablespoon of Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips.  Yum!

Thanks so much for stopping by today to see me.  I hope you have a great weekend! 

21 comments:

  1. You are making me hungry!!! I love the yogurt idea. I will have to try it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This all looks so wonderful! I love eggrolls!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for leading me here and your visit, I have always wanted to make these, I even have the wrappers! Scared to try them, not wanted to waste the money with ingredients that will not come out right! Your instructions and pictures made me feel like it wont be so hard! Thanks so much I think next week I will give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am FULL and this entry has me craving egg rolls and yummy peanut sauce... I am definitely trying this recipe
    !

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! I have many days that a salad or a sandwich is not what I am in the mood for. This looks really good. Aquariums are a lot of fun! Have a great night!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I want egg rolls for breakfast! Thanks for the tutorial; I've never made egg rolls and wondered how to roll the wrappers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never ever attempted egg rolls, but this inspires me to try them! Great tutorial post, Candace. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you posted this recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have got to stop this. It makes me want to eat. This looks so good. I wish you could overnight stuff to me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never tried baked egg rolls; we'd always fried ours. Definitely will try these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My dearest friend, you made making eggrolls look so easy! I may very well have to give this a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks fantastic!!! MMmmmmmMMMMmmmm!!!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi Candace
    those eggrolls look amazing!! I would love those for dinner tonite, I never knew they were that easy to make!
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  14. This really looks delicious! Are you getting a lot of snow? We love snow and will get some tomorrow night! I hope you are doing great! Have a nice night!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just want to Thank You for this post. We love our food spicy here at the Bakow house and I love to make all kinds of Asian food but never have I made my own eggrolls. I am going to try it now that you've shown me how to wrap them! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love eggrolls!!! Gotta give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW!! That looks fabulous. I love to eat egg rolls but have never found a good recipe. This one might just fit the bill. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never thought of baking egg rolls! I used to help a Korean friend make these as a group of her friends got together & then they sold them. Yummy! now I am definitely craving them. Faythe ~GMT~

    ReplyDelete
  19. The egg rolls look great, we like spicy, too! That sauce sounds good with it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello! I just came across your blog from the Over 40 Bloggers/Nbever Grow Old Site. I saw this photo of the yogurt with berries and chips and now I am sitting here debating a trip to the store it looks so great! Welcome to New England. I live in MA and I hope you are all surviving this snow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me today! I hope you have enjoyed your time here and that you will return again. Please leave me a comment to let me know that you have stopped by! I respond to each and every comment by email, if possible, and by returning a visit to your blog. Have a great day!