I am so happy that you have landed in my little corner of cyberspace. If you join me here, you will, hopefully, get to know a little about me. You will read my thoughts, my hopes and dreams, and see some of my favorite things. I hope you will visit often. I will try to update it regularly and hopefully you will see an improvement in the blog along the way. Thank you for stopping in to see me as I travel on this journey called "life"!













Monday, January 28, 2013

July 2012 - Star Island Cruise



Vacation week continues with a cruise.  We have always been intrigued by the islands off the coast of New England so a cruise to explore one of them was another item to be marked off the bucket list.




The vehicle of choice was the "Uncle Oscar" which leaves out of Rye Harbor and the destination of choice was Star Island.





The day started sunny; but in true New England fashion, the clouds settled in quickly.  It has been said that if you don't like the weather here, wait a minute.  That is so true.


By the time that we made it to the Island, it was less cloudy with bursts of sunshine now and again.  The overcast skies provided perfect light for taking photos.  The anchor of Star Island is a historic Victorian hotel that is a now a religious retreat.   I am a lover of architecture...historical architecture, in particular...and this was an exciting part of the trip for me.  I love the era of the grand hotels such as this one and it was so much fun to walk around inside and imagine it in its heyday.



We didn't take advantage of the lunch portion of the trip that was offered, preferring to set out on our own and explore the island.  From what I understand from those that did take advantage of it, we made the right decision. 








There was quite a bit of activity on the Island that day as there was a retreat in session.  Because we arrived around lunch time, we were able to explore the Island without too much interruption.  Most of the campers were dining.


The Island is full of old buildings which have been lovingly kept in good condition.  I love the stone work that was used.



There is an old cemetery that overlooks the Atlantic.  New England is full of old cemeteries and there is something very interesting about them, I think. 



This was a beautiful final resting spot for the people buried here.  Seeing the old headstones always make me ponder who these people were and what their lives were like.  I can imagine visiting the grand hotels of the day; but, I cannot imagine what it was like to live in a place like this during that time period.




We really enjoyed our time exploring the Island, taking photos and enjoying the views.  






I'm quite sure that this is not a pleasant place to be when a Nor'Easter blows through; but on the day that we visited, it was peaceful and quite beautiful.  I could definitely see myself living there....in this time period...on a day like that.




This was another day of making memories for us.










The gnarly wind beaten trees and shrubs were expected on the Island; but I did not expect to find such beautiful, green foliage and these delicate little flowers.  It was a welcome shot of color.




Some things really never change.  As this wide front porch was, I'm sure, a wonderful place to hang out in days gone by, the rocking chairs still provide a place to rest and reflect on the beauty of the New England coast.




It was one of my favorite places of the day.



7 comments:

  1. Oh, that does look like so much fun! It reminds me of the McCloskey book, 'One Morning in Maine.' Love that little church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the history & the buildings that go with it! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candace, thanks for introducing me to one more beautiful place. I want to visit New England, May be this summer not sure though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw so little of New England even though I lived there for four years! It's so fun to live vicariously through you

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful wonderful cruise and day and photos! I felt like I was there! Amazing

    ReplyDelete
  6. The old establish towns in the New England States are so beautiful, like I said before, I have really enjoyed your looking back posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a beautiful trip...I love grand hotels too. Have you ever seen Somewhere in Time? I don't know why, but for some reason I thought about that looking at the photo of that cool hotel. I love time period movies in general...my latest indulgence: Downton Abbey....talk about a grand estate...amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me today! I hope you have enjoyed your time here and that you will return again. Please leave me a comment to let me know that you have stopped by! I respond to each and every comment by email, if possible, and by returning a visit to your blog. Have a great day!