I am so happy that you have landed in my little corner of cyberspace. If you join me here, you will, hopefully, get to know a little about me. You will read my thoughts, my hopes and dreams, and see some of my favorite things. I hope you will visit often. I will try to update it regularly and hopefully you will see an improvement in the blog along the way. Thank you for stopping in to see me as I travel on this journey called "life"!













Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ooooooh Fuuuuuuudge!

Fudge....

I love the stuff in all variations.  When I was growing up and the craving for something sweet hit, my mom would head to the kitchen to make a batch of her Peanut Butter Fudge.  I loved to see her pour the fudge out on her buttered platter.  Seldom would I want to wait for it to harden up before I started eating it. 

When my dad was away from home working and it was just the two of us on a cold winter's night, we would sometimes snuggle up with a platter of her fudge.  We would each have a spoon and while it was still soft, she would start at one end and I would start at the other.  Yum!  That is still the way I prefer to eat her fudge.

Every year at Christmas since I have been an adult, I have made fudge.  Not my mom's peanut butter fudge recipe for that one belongs to her.  For years I made Fantasy Fudge.....you know the recipe consisting of  chocolate chips and Marshmallow Fluff?  I always used milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet ones because I loved the way it tasted.

A few years ago, I discovered the bags of Andes Mint Chips and replaced the milk chocolate chips with those.  Amazing!  I could make literally myself sick on the stuff. 

Today, as I was trying to get myself in the spirit of making some Christmas treats, I hauled out the "Baking Pantry" box that had yet to be unpacked and found a can of Fat Free Sweetened Condensed Milk.  I happened to turn it around and found an intriguing recipe for fudge.  It looked so simple and I had everything for it. 

Chocolate Fudge

3 cups (18 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Hershey's Special Dark Chips)
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand Fat-Free Sweetened Condensed Milk
Dash Salt
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract (I used Mexican Vanilla)
(I added a handful or so of sweetened coconut)

In a heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt chocolate chips with sweetened condensed milk and salt.  Remove from heat; stir in vanilla extract.  Spread evenly into wax paper lined 8- or 9- inch square pan.  Chill 2 hours or until firm.  Turn fudge onto cutting board; peel off paper and cut into squares.  Store leftovers covered in refrigerator.  Makes about 2 lbs.

  It is, by far, the easiest fudge that I've ever made and is absolutely delicious.  It tastes like a Mounds candy bar.  I am sure you could vary this recipe any way that you wanted to by changing up the chips and the additions.  This is definitely a keeper and a recipe that I will enjoy experimenting with for many years to come.

I'm joining JAVA over at Never Growing Old for her wonderful FOLLOW FRIDAY 40 and OVER.  




Thank you so much for stopping by!  I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

25 comments:

  1. Candace I am literally sitting her stuffing my face with fudge as I read your post! Ha Ha
    I think we could make ourselves sick together!!
    I also love Peanut Butter fudge but haven't made it in a few years. I think I might just have too.
    This recipe with the coconut in it sounds fab and I would get it all to myself since my kids don't like coconut (evil laughter!!!!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe, I can not wait to make it! I would have never thought of adding coconut to the fudge what a great idea.
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi There!
    Thanks for the visit! I'm going to try the fudge recipe! Sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMY!! Your blog is really nice!
    Hi Candace, following back. thanks for the comments!
    Julz@ http://spookyjulz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the great recipe. It sounds like you have warm memories of "fudge moments" with your mom while growing up.

    I am part of the Friday Blog Hop and I appreciated you stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I L.O.V.E. fudge and I will be making it this weekend. My dad made fudge when I was younger, still does, and my aunt taught me how to make the most delicious peanut butter fudge. Your photo is mouthwatering. Maybe I'll make it tomorrow...no, I can't, I have to wait until Saturday :-) but I'll come back and look at your photo again. Lovely blog you have. I'm visiting from OVER 40 and you can find me over at http://theskinnyonmini.blogspot.com and http://inherpeace-janetsjournal.blogspot.com/ Have a great weekend. Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my, that sounds good! And I bet Ande's would fit right in, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post makes me want to make fudge especially since our office party yesterday had all kinds of sweets but no fudge! How can that be?
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My youngest daughter would have loved hanging out with you and your mom! She loves fudge...someone gave me a similar recipe to try this year-lots of coconut and he said it tastes like a mounds bar (which I love!). My mil has already made two kinds of fudge for our get together so I probably will just try this new one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness---that fudge looks delicious!!! Gonna have to try it!!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Perfect for my office gift bags. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Candy, visit this site...3 great fudge recipes that I intend to make for our Family Christmas Day....http://www.jeremiah-2911.com/
    The peppermint fudge sounds sooooo good !

    ReplyDelete
  13. O ... M ... G!!! That looks so sinfully good! And I love the story about you and your mom eating fudge when it was just you two girls ... :) What a lovely memory!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Sorry I can't stay long. I'm on a 40+ years and older hop. (copy/paste day for me today) Trying to say howdy to everyone I can before my Dr. appointment. Hop back. Hook up your Hop. Enter my Giveaway. Need some people to enter. I'd enter myself but that would be weird. LOL Check out HWLWG. I'll stop again when I have more time.
    Laurie at Grandma Sez So
    http://grandma-sez-so.blogspot.com/2010/12/are-you-over-40-do-you-blog-come-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely story. I can't say I have ever made fudge in my entire life. And I am not a huge fan of sweets...so I don't eat them often, though a nice slice of fresh apple pie or cheesecake definitely would be good right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    I love fudge! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love fudge! This recipe will be great to make for xmas!

    great to find your blog, pop over to bigwords if you ever get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh girl, that fudge looks sooo yummy. The recipe sounds easy just the way I like them. Thanks for your kind words today. Merry Christmas, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow that looks good!! I'm guessing I won't be doing any Christmas cooking this year since I'm busy with the floor. Maybe between Christmas and New Year's I can make a few things. I'll definitely try this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fudge sounds yummy. Have you ever had cheese fudge? A friend of mine bought some and shared once. I'm not sure how I felt about it. But I'm drooling at all this talk of fudge.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yes, this is a simply and amazing recipe. The only problem is having just one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantasy Peanut Butter Fudge is on my agenda for today! It's fantastic!
    I'm going to have to try this fudge recipe, too. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. After seeing this photo I am going to have to make my first batch of fudge.
    Thanks for sharing, I am going to have to walk another mile after I am done eating all this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me today! I hope you have enjoyed your time here and that you will return again. Please leave me a comment to let me know that you have stopped by! I respond to each and every comment by email, if possible, and by returning a visit to your blog. Have a great day!