I am so happy that you have landed in my little corner of cyberspace. If you join me here, you will, hopefully, get to know a little about me. You will read my thoughts, my hopes and dreams, and see some of my favorite things. I hope you will visit often. I will try to update it regularly and hopefully you will see an improvement in the blog along the way. Thank you for stopping in to see me as I travel on this journey called "life"!













Monday, March 14, 2011

BREAKFAST QUESADILLAS ON RUBY TUESDAY

I have shared with you here that, in the past, we have eaten a lot of Mexican and/or Mexican inspired meals.  I have, also, shared here that I love "fusion" food....particularly for breakfast.  I'm firmly convinced that you can put almost anything on a tortilla. 

We haven't done too much of this kind of cooking since we moved and I was hungry for it the other morning for breakfast.  I decided to mix it up a little from my normal "fusion breakfast" routine and make breakfast quesadillas. 

I started out with eggs, Sriracha and a splash of water for the scramble.



The beauty of this meal is that you can make your eggs however you like them.  You can add cheese or meat to them while scrambling or wait and add them to the quesadilla or not at all.  There are no rules. 



Once your scrambled eggs are done to your liking, it is time to start assembling your quesadillas.  Start with the tortilla of your choice.  This is the first time I've used this brand and they are okay.  A homemade white flour tortilla would probably taste better, I'm sure! I will probably buy these particular tortillas again because they are one of the healthier options offered at the grocery store.  I find them much better toasted as a quesadilla rather than untoasted as a wrap.


We are a Cabot Cheese household here...always have and always will be.  We venture outside of the Cabot box only to buy the kinds of cheese that we can't get from Cabot.  Their Pepper Jack and Seriously Sharp are staples on the grocery list so that we never run out. 

We ♥ Cabot Cheese!


Slice or grate the cheese and lay it down on one side of the tortilla.  We normally grate it; but, I took the easy way out and just sliced it thinly.  I, also, make my quesadillas with one tortilla folded over rather than "sandwiching" the filling between two tortillas.  They cook better for me that way so that the filling stays inside. 

These are a great way to add some healthy veggies to your quesadilla.  I added fresh baby spinach to mine.


On top of the spinach goes the yummy eggs...

And grape tomatoes...


And some yummy New Hampshire herbed goat cheese...


I may or may not have a slight addiction
to that goat cheese.

I love the taste of fresh chopped green onions in my breakfast tacos/quesadillas.  Garlic chives are, also, a nice addition.  I don't have any yet; but, I will have some soon.  They are just starting to pop their little heads up in my pot.  More on my gardening in a later post!  Moving on...


Another layer of spinach is added because, in my opinion, you can't have too much.  It's a nutritional powerhouse full of vitamins and fiber and this is a great way to add it to your diet.


Another layer of the yummy Cabot Cheese to melt on the other side of the spinach and it's ready to hit the hot pan.  I always make my quesadillas in a nonstick pan without oil of any kind.  They usually brown nicely on a medium heat. 


When the quesadilla is brown and the cheese starts to melt on the first side, flip it over and brown the other side.


This was so yummy that I probably could have eaten it by myself.  I split it in half and shared with David.  I'm so good to him.


This is one of those dishes that has no recipe.  There aren't any rules on what you can or cannot put into it.  Whatever you like with your eggs or in an omelet would be great in these.  You can use anything in your fridge that you have on-hand.  You can use egg whites or if you don't like or want eggs, leave them out.  Use cheese and/or meat and/or veggies!  You are only limited by your imagination here so have fun with it.  These are great for breakfast; but, don't limit them to just that meal.  They make a tasty lunch and can be a light meatless "breakfast for dinner" during Lent.  This is, also, a good way to get your kids involved in the kitchen.  Prepare the fillings and let everyone choose what to put inside their quesadilla.  Kids love to be able to make their own choices.


This recipe is linked being linked up with Ruby Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table,  Delectable Tuesday Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Hearth and Soul.

Thanks so much for stopping by! 















hearthandsoulhop

31 comments:

  1. What a yummy sounding recipe! I love breakfast food but have never thought to make a quesadilla. Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love breakfast burritos in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. This is so easy to do! I'll surely try this at home. Thanks Candace for sharing. I love Mexican food. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make something very similar to this and I'm with you on the tortilla. I think the whole wheat and the lower carb variety are much better toasted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the Cabot love! Anything with Sriracha works for me and my family. YUM! This breakfast looks easy enough to make for my teens even on a school day. Maybe tomorrow! (PS: I might even use Cabot habanero cheddar. Yes, I am that bold!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so good, packed with such delicious things, I would have loved one of those this morning. Never thought to use the sriracha in the eggs, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmm. This looks so tasty! I bought my first bottle of sriracha sauce just last week. And here's yet another use for it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and this looks delicious! All the fresh veggies makes it look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a little spice in my breakfast and this looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of my favorite meals to make! love the spicy cheese and chili sauce additions! deeeelish!!!!!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would be a great meatless dinner! It looks scrumptious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your addition of hot sauce and spinach, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So healthy!

    Rock Collection for Ruby Tuesday. Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another good one ! ! So, when does your cookbook hit the stands?..lol...Love Ya, Aunt M

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! I wish I had time in the morning to make myself a breakfast as nice as this. Maybe I'll make it over the weekend, then my husband can enjoy it too. He loves stuff like this. Also, is your header pic of the covered bridge near where you live? It is gorgeous!I am so jealous. I wish i had one near me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need to get on a plane and invite myself to breakfast at your house, despite the appalling lack of etiquette required for such an adventure! I'll likely be having Cheerios for breakfast, which is paling very greatly compared to these gorgeous quesadillas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My husband just brought home two dozen farm fresh eggs...now I know what I'm going to do with them!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Candace, I'm coming over from Delectable Tuesdays (link # 16) and I'm happy to meet you! Your recipe looks like the perfect lunch for us-just add a little green salad or fruit salad! I've never used Cabot but I will look for it. I used goat cheese on my post too, and it was excellent! Looking forward to more of your posts. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Quesadillas for breakfast! I'm in! Love the Mexican flair in these. Perfect way to get out of bed on hump day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really wish we were neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I love breakfast burritos or quesadillas. And I LOVED that you put the goat cheese in there - yummmmmmy!
    Love this meal!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My dear Candace if I was ten years younger and you came to NH 5 years earlier then perhaps we would have met and perhaps you would call me to enjoy these beautiful quesadillas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. breakfast quesadillas are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Cabot cheese too! You're brave to have Sriracha for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is how I mostly cook - without a real recipe - I love quesadillas and so does my family. I have never made them for breakfast though I am sure they would be a great hit! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just Stopping by from TMTT. You had me at mexican food for breakfast, as I could probably eat it 3 times a day. I wanted to invite you to check out my Iron Chef Challenge This month's themed ingredient is canned tomatoes, so link up a recipe using those and you could win a prize. It should be a lot of fun, hope you can join us!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, now that looks like a great breakfast. I love how easy and colorful it is. That would brighten up any day!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  29. If I didn't already love quesadillas, your post and gorgeous photos would have me convinced. I love breakfast, and this looks quite tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow ... i think this is gonna be my breakfast this weekend ... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Breakfast is one of the most versatile meals of the day...and the Mexican theme just makes it that much better!

    Thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me today! I hope you have enjoyed your time here and that you will return again. Please leave me a comment to let me know that you have stopped by! I respond to each and every comment by email, if possible, and by returning a visit to your blog. Have a great day!